While designing wearable technologies factors to be considered are as follows:
- Power. Power consumption is a critical design requirement and thus a challenge in "wearables". Battery power in "wearables" is expected to last for a significant amount of time.
- Connectivity. "Wearables" require connection with other devices via wireless connectivity. Wireless protocols are Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy, IEEE 802.15.4. Many times wearable devices support more than one wireless protocol.
- Size. Technology is becoming more and more versatile along with decreasing its size; such technology also attracts the market. Same is the case with wearable devices i.e very powerful functions are to be packed into a very small space. As they need to be compact, a small touchscreen with gesture detection capabilities is carried on wearable electronic. The touchscreen can be capacitive, resistive, surface acoustic wave, and optical imaging.
- Aesthetics. While maintaining size and functions, best wearable devices also need to be stylish and fashionable and blend well with other ornaments.
- Tolerance. Based on the type of wearable device, tolerance of heat, water and vibrations becomes a necessity. For example, smart watches need to be tolerant to water and same is expected from fitness bands.
The wearable market grows more and more as the interaction between watches, phones, glasses, headsets, and clothing increases. So, with more devices in the market each day, developers are needed to build applications for these devices. Wearable devices will change the way applications are designed and developed. For example, Google's Android Wear is an Android platform that will help developers build apps that work on the various wearable devices.
Wearable technologies are used in almost all fields, such as follows:
- Sports and Fitness. Tracking performance is increasingly important for athletes to get qualified input about vital data during workouts. Wearables devices make such measurements smooth and unobstructive. Some "wearables" widely in use in this category are GPS watches, heart rate monitors and pedometers.
- Healthcare and wellness. Remote patient monitoring has become possible. Wearable medical devices give patient freedom to move around as they like.
- Security and prevention. Wearable Technologies are used to ensure highest, up-to-date safety and security standards. For example, special lighting technologies for better visibility, home security systems, protective clothing and special gear for extreme sports, rescue teams, workers, or tracking devices for a healthy lifestyle.
- Gaming and lifestyle. World of gaming is undergoing huge changes, and the "Wearables" are playing a massive role in it.